Thursday, September 16, 2010

Media Lifeline...



This weekend I thought I would experience a vacation from media, I was actually looking forward to escaping facebook, and all the people trying to reach me. This past weekend my boyfriend and I took a trip four hours upstate to camp in the Adirondacks with some friends and family. We slept in tents, cooked over the fire, and entertained ourselves by talking and hiking. It was a breathtaking outdoor experience, nevertheless, I was ready to head back to civilization. My boyfriend and I drove off towards home ahead of the pack, eager to get home. Little did we know, we were headed in the wrong direction on a path towards doom. Not even ten minutes away from the campsite and we get a flat tire. Normally, you would call somebody, guess what, there is no service in the middle of nowhere! We are on a deserted road, with a flat tire, 4 hours away from home and it still got worse. My boyfriend takes all our luggage out of the trunk only to find my spare donut is also flat. A nice older couple pulls over to the side of the road, and after inquiring about our troubles, he offers to take our flat spare to the nearest gas station (20 miles away), and call our family from a land line. We had to trust this unknown man because we had no other options. Finally he comes back with the spare tire, and we head towards home, after stopping at a dozen Garage stations, we finally reach a mechanic who will fix our tire on a Sunday.
People get flat tires all the time. The situation I found myself in was so traumatic for me because for once I felt totally self-reliant. Even if I had AAA, I wouldn't have been able to contact them. Having a cellular phone means you are connected and safe. We may get annoyed by always being able to be reached, and receiving texts and calls 24/7, however,when there is an emergency there is nothing better than having a cell phone,fully charged, with SERVICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment